Newspaper Archive of
Post-Gazette
Boston, Massachusetts
Lyft
March 9, 2012     Post-Gazette
PAGE 6     (6 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 6     (6 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
March 9, 2012
 

Newspaper Archive of Post-Gazette produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2017. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




Page , POST-GAZETTE, MARGH 9, 20t-2- Dominic Avellani Receives 2012 "El Planeta " Newspaper A ward ALL THAT ZAZZ Dominic Avellani, the direc- ton in 1972 and opened its East by Mary N.__DiZa_____o tor and founder of the Commu- Boston center in 1979. It went nity Education Center (East from a I room school to a 6 room Soften Up/ Boston Adult Ed. Center) is the school today. From assisting 250 Ciao Bella, happy recipient of the "El Planeta" 2012 newspaper Powermeter Award. Citizens of East Boston and Massachu- setts, in general, voted for 100 individuals that most impacted their lives in Massachusetts. A representative of the "El Planeta" newspaper asked 10 Hispanics on the street and in the businesses in East Boston, "Which agency or individual most impacted your life in East Boston?" and almost all said: Dominic Avellani or the East Boston Adult Ed. Center. "For me it is an honor because I am an ex-immigrant from Italy," stated Mr. Avellani who came to the U.S. in 1958. Mr. Avellani holds an MA in Guidance and has done graduate work at the Universidad De Las Americas in Mexico. It was a joyous occasion united at the Bos- ton Museum of/'me arts on February 27, 2012 to be among such great dignitaries. Among the 100 recipients were Governor Deval Patrick, Lieutenant Governor Tim Murray, Boston Mayor Tom Menino, City Councilor Felix Arroyo, State Senator Sonia Chang- Diaz, and many more. In 2012, the East Boston Adult Ed. Center is celebrating its 40 m anniversary. It is a Center that began in the North End of Bos- immigrants, refugees, and American school dropouts per year to assisting over 3,000 per year. Thousands of these deserving individuals have obtained at the Center their GED, U.S. Citizenship Prepara- tion, Computer Skills, English "I, II, III, Car Permit Prepara- tion, tutoring in all 5 academic subjects, placed in colleges and universi- ties, given the ATB Vocational School Entrance Exam, and much more. The "El Planeta" award, although it was awarded to Mr. Avellani, also belongs to the school, staff, administration, and agencies and individuals which support the Commu- nity Educational Center since 1972. The coveted "El Planeta" newspaper award was given to Mr. Avellani because his Center reflects not only the Hispanic Community but the city of Boston in general. Although 80% of our students are Hispanics, the other 20% are people from Brazil, Haiti, Morocco, eastern Europe, and American school drop- outs. The Center prides itself in assisting individuals from East Boston (80%) while the other 20% come from Chelsea, Lynn, Revere, other Boston neighborhoods and more. The Post-Gazette congratulates Mr. Avellani for a job well done. Saint Colette by Bennett Molinari and Richard Molinari Saint Colette was born Nicolette Boellet on January 13, 1381 at Corbie in the Picardy region of France. Saint Colette's father, Rob- ert Boellet, was a carpenter working at the famous Benedictine Abbey of Corbie; her mother's name was Marguerite Moyon. When she was twenty-two her par- ents passed away and Colette became an anchoress, (a woman who retires into seclusion for re- ligious reasons), of the Third Order of Saint Francis, un- der the direction of the Ab- bot of Corbie. She received her habit in 1402. It was during the four spired to reform the years that she lived as a re- Franciscan Second Order, cluse that she became in- (Poor C/ares) and to return Greater Boston's Affordable Private Cemetery Traditional Buria[ Hot 617.524.1036 3 ] www.stmichaeicemetery.com the Italian community for over 100 years/ Boston Harborside Home Joseph A. Langone 580 Commercial St. - Boston, MA 02109 617-536-4110 www.bostonharborsidehome.com Augustave M. Sabia, Jr. Trevor Slauenwhite Frederick]. Wobrock Dino C. Manca Courtney A. Fitzgibbons A Service Family Affiliate of AFFS/Service Corporation International 206 Winter St., Fall River, MA 02720 Telephone 508-676-2454 ,. J it to its original Franciscan ideals of absolute poverty and austerity. In October 1406, she turned to Benedict XIII, (Pedro de Luna) who was one of two claimants to the pa- pacy, he, residing in Avignon France and Pope Gregory XII in Rome, the result of what came to be known as the Great Western Schism that started in 1378. Benedict received her in Nice, in southern France, and al- lowed her to transfer to the Order of Poor C/ares. He gave her permission through sev- eral papal bulls, issued be- tween 1406 and 1412, to found new monasteries and to complete the reform of the Order; the Nuns of the strict observance were known as the Colettine Poor Clares. Saint Colette traveled throughout France and Flanders founding convents, 18 during her lifetime, and inspiring existing convents of Poor Clares to adopt her strict observances. It was during her travels that she is said to have met Saint Joan of Arc, at Moulins in 1429. She prescribed ex- treme poverty, going bare- foot, and the observance of perpetual fasting and absti- nence for the monasteries that followed her reform. Benedict X/I/, (Pedro de Luna) stepped down at the Council of Constance, July 26, 1417. The Ecumeni- cal Council of Constance was held at Constance, now in the Grand Duchy of Baden, from November 5, 1414- April 22, 1418. One of its chief purposes was to irra- diate the Western Schism and to restore ecclesiastical unity. Colette died at Ghent in March 1447. She was beati- fied on January 23, 1740, by Pope Clement XII and was canonized May 24, 1807 by Pope Pius VII. Everybody feelin' that alli- gator skin just about now? I never really experienced it till just a few years ago. Af- ter all extreme temps and environmental changes will play havoc on your skin. First of all before we can see true results of our body moistur- izer we must exfoliate the dryness which is dead skin. One of the best ways is in the steam room! Or even at home in a steamy tub! After about 10-15 minutes the steam softens that dry skin and it will just roll off with your fingers or a loofah sponge! Really! There is also a mitt that is used in the baths in Morocco. You can find the mitt in specialty stores. Works wonders! Always remember that af- ter exfoliating your product will WORK and go a long way! Then your skin is in for a good deep conditioning and moisturizing treatment. The KOSMEA line from Australia has a wonderful Rescue Balm that keeps, skin glow- ing and soft! Formulated with certified organic Rose Hip Oilin a preservative free for- mula and used together with their Rescue Body Cream with certified organic Rose Hip Butter, I promise a baby soft experience! LUSH has a wonderful Body Butter "BUFFY" -- with shea butter that is used in the Read prior weeks,. "All shower. Has a great nutty scent! To kick-start a soft- ening regimen on your feet that haven't seen the light of day for months, Lush has a "Stepping Stone Foot Scrub." Made with pumice, sea salt and cocoa butter, it will sure make a difference once barefoot season ar- rives. Tried it and loved it! Once you exfoliate properly you must nourish your skin with excellent product to ensure healthy skin. The Rescue Balm can be used on cuticles, elbows, feet and heels, scars, etc. -- a miracle in a jar! Call or email me with any questions on these fine products and where to purchase them. So get soft now! Buona giornata and God bless the United States of America! -- Mary: DiZazzo-Trumbull That Zazz " columns at wunv.allthatzazz.com. Mary is a third-generation cosmetolo- gist and a Massachusetts distributor of Kosmea brand rose hip oil products. She may be contacted at {978) 470-8183 or mary@mary4nails.com @ JUSTINE YANDLE PHOTOGRAPHY 781.589.7347 JUSTINE.YANDLE@GMAIL.COM WWW.JUSTINEYANDLEPHOTOGRAPHY COM