Newspaper Archive of
Boston, Massachusetts
June 22, 2012     Post-Gazette
PAGE 13     (13 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
PAGE 13     (13 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
June 22, 2012

Newspaper Archive of Post-Gazette produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2018. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.

POST-GAZETTE, JUNE 22, 201 2 Page 13 00anna 00abb00onno by John Christoforo A Nostalgic Remembrance Last week, I was talking about Dad's career after WWII. His life style changed from his younger days. From what I understand, you could make a living at just play- ing music before the war. Most of the people he grew to know and work with did not have day jobs prior to 1945. They played music. The music scene changed after that. The big bands that existed before the war, to a great degree, disbanded due to the war with the musi- cians being drafted and most never reorganized the way they had existed in the '30s. Dad had a close friend, an accordionist named Gordon Seabury who advised him regarding his future. He con- vinced Dad that, after the war, things were going to be different than they had been and Dad listened. When he opted for a day job, it might have been the best career move he could have made. When the changes in the music business began to take place after the war, many of the musicians who were just out of uniform found it difficult to make a living. Most went in search of day jobs and settled for whatever they could find. The changes didn't take place all at once, but they did happen. The big band era was coming to an end. The 16 to 18 piece swing bands of Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, the Dorsey brothers, Duke Ellington, Count Basie ... all survived as smaller units. Many of the second tier bands just disappeared. Small groups -- trios, quar- tets and quintets with sing- ers took their places. The supper clubs diminished in number. Most restaurants, especially Chinese restau- rants, most of whom had live shows with bands, stopped their entertainment poli- cies. Ballrooms stayed alive as did the small night clubs, but the days of working six nights a week on a steady basis were gone. The young people who danced to the big bands were not young anymore. Those just leaving the service were settling down, marry- ing and bringing children into the world. As a result, going out at night and hav- ing a good time became the back burner of life. The new young people wanted their own music, not what was handed down to them from their parent's generation. Beginning in the early 1950s, they found it. At first, it was called rhythm and blues, and later, rock and roll. New young bands were born, and piloted the new music. Many of the older per- formers couldn't understand the melodies nor feel the beat and settled for the occasional wedding or other booking that didn't require knowing the new music. Another phenomenon came in right after the war that accelerated the loss of work as a musician. It was called television. TV hit New York in 1947 and Boston by 1948. By 1949, Dad bought the first of many TVs that we would own and going out for enter- tainment was not necessary any longer. When this hap- pened all over the country most musicians became week- end warriors and you couldn't support a family on just weekend work. As time pro- gressed, Dad fell into this same category. He did better than most as he was that good and always in demand, but the musicians who didn't have day jobs had it rough. Babbononno began giving me music lessons when I was in short pants. He taught me a subject called solfeggio. It is the Italian method of the articulation of music that has become the standard around the world. I would sit next to Babbo- nonno, my feet dangling in the air. In front of us would be a music stand with the music facing us and I would have to sing and read the music note for note while Babbononno conducted it with a ruler in his hand. If I read or sang something wrong, I would get hit with the ruler. By the time I was ten years old, I had hands that looked like they be- longed to a fighter, but I learned. The best part of my lessons was when Nanna would yell, "Lunch is ready," in Italian. After a couple of years of solfeggio with Babbononno, it was time to pick an instru- ment. Babbononno, Dad and my uncles wanted me to be the 3 rd consecutive genera- tion of musicians in the family and I had no alterna- tive. I tried the accordion and hated it. I tried piano and hated it. I tried clarinet and hated it. I opted for the trumpet and began to take lessons. As a result, when I entered junior high school, I took up the bugle and played for the Drum and Bugle Corps at the Joseph H. Barnes Junior High School -- FOR YOU WHO APPRECIATE THE FINEST-- THE MUSIC FOR ALL OCCASIONS 781-648-5678 I in East Boston and loved it. When I started high school, I joined the English High School band, but working at the Seville Theater and play- ing baseball were more im- portant. As a result, the trum- pet began to collect dust. By the time I was half way through high school, music was something I danced to, not played. One day, Dad of- fered to teach me how to play the bass. It was about the only instrument I had not tried. Right from the begin- ning, I loved it and took the instrument seriously. By the time I was out of high school, I turned professional, first joining some neighborhood kids playing locally and then spreading my wings once I was good enough to play with more professional groups. I had thought of making a career of playing jazz, the music I grew to love. Fortu- nately, I went to college, got myself an education and relied on music as a sideline instead of a full time job. Once I was out of college, I began to teach school; The schedules I had teaching in Boston afforded me the opportunity of going home to take a nap and then playing at night in a refreshed state. I discovered the realities of the music business as I became more experienced. I loved jazz, but it didn't pay as well as a wedding recep- tion. Seeing I could do both, I tried my hand at both and held my own. Whenever I would come across some- thing that was difficult to play and I mastered it, I would silently say, "Thank you Dad and Babbononno." When Dad thought it was time, I joined the musician's union. Uncle Nick was the vice president at that time and Dad was on the board of directors. This fact didn't hurt as far as name recog- nition was concerned. Doors opened more easily, but I had to prove myself on my instru- ment regardless of what my name was. I must have done something right, as I always worked. The extra money afforded me nice clothes, the cars I liked, lots of vacations and some good investments along the way. Thanks to music, it never cost my family any money for my education. I paid my way through college. After col- lege, I decided to go after a master's degree and paid for it on my own. I went after a second master's a few years later and then a doctorate, again paying out of my own pocket. Thanks to the guid- ance from Babbononno and my father, I have been rather lucky in life. The one thing I think I inherited from them is what I call the Italian work ethic. And, con- sidering what I've tried to accomplish over the years, I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. By the way, my two kids have adopted the same work ethic. GOD BLESS AMERICA The Walls (Continued from Page 3) getting called back to the scene. Mahoney remem- bers, "When I got back, it was a pile of rubble. All I could see was smoke and firefighters on top of the rubble moving debris with their bare hands ... Telling a son that his fa- ther was gone on the morn- ing of Father's Day - was heartbreaking ... (In all) I've had to inform loved ones of fallen firefighters 68 times. It never gets easier. In fact, it gets harder each time." I will always and forever re- member the image of Ladder 15 in the rear of the building crushed in the pancaked rubble left in the silence of that agonizing day. That weekend 40 years ago was a sunny one, but as the sun rose up on Sun- day morning, Father's Day, that year there was an inner gloominess that paled over all. It took 25 years to get this Back Bay Vendome Memo- rial built honoring those who sacrificed their lives on that long-ago Saturday afternoon. Firefighters had worked at the fire scene until 2:00 am in the pre-dawn hours of Father's Day rescuing 16 men and recovering the bod- ies of 9 heroes who gave their lives in service to the people of Boston. Hundreds of folks, families, co-workers, friends and per- fect strangers took the time on this June 17 th to pay their respects and honor the memory of all those who sac- rificed their lives for us that day. We will never forget and will long remember that band of brothers who now live to- gether in eternity. LEGAL NOTICE MASSACHUSETTS PORT AUTHORITY NOTICE TO TRADE CONTRACTORS REQUEST FOR TRADE CONTRACTOR QUALIFICATIONS The MASSACHUSETTS PORT AUTHORITY is soliciting Statements of Qualifications from TRADE CONTRACTORS interested in performing work for MPA PROJECT NO. Ll177-C2-2, CBIS RECAPITALIZATION/OPTIMIZATION, LOGAN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, EAST BOSTON, MA. The Authority is seeking Qualification Statements from HVAC Trade Contractors who have a demonstrated experience in the construction and implementation of similar work in terms of scale and complexity as required for this project at Logan Airport in East Boston. In accordance with Massachusetts construction manager at-risk requirements, MGL Chapter 149A, Section 44F, Qualification Statements are being requested at this time from the HVAC trade contractors. In 2002, in-line Checked Baggage Inspection Systems (CBIS) were installed and commissioned at various locations in Terminals B, C and E at Logan International Airport. Terminal A was subsequently constructed with an entirely new baggage handling system that also included an in-line CBIS. While these systems were state-of4he-art at the time, they were designed well before the adoption of the Planning Guidelines and Design Standards (PGDS) by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) in 2009. Under the proposed project, the Authority is proposing to make improvements to the CBISs at Logan International Airport. The scope of work on the Project involves construction activities in all of the Terminals at Logan International Airport. Extensive interaction and coordination with the TSA and the airlines will be required. Construction of the Project will commence in the summer of 2012. The work will be completed in a minimum of five phases. The work on the last of the phases will be completed on or before April of 2014. The proposed work includes the demolition of existing duct work, diffusers and associated HVAC infrastructure in an existing office area. The work shall also include but not be limited to the construction of new HVAC ducts and diffusers, the installation of VAV boxes with associated controls and the installation of a split system to provide supplemental cooling in a telecom closet. The estimated value of work to be performed by the HVAC trade contractor is $70,000. The Authority is implementing this project in accordance with MGL Chapter 149A, Sections 1 thru 13. This selection of trade contractors conforms to MGL Chapter 149A, Section 8, subsections (b) to (k) inclusive. This Request for Qualifications (RFQ) will be utilized to prequalify trade contractors capable and experienced in the construction of parking structures. The Authority shall utilize a two-step process including the prequalification of trade contractors based on an evaluation of the Statement of Qualifications received in response to this solicitation, followed by an Invitation to Bidders that will only be issued to the prequalified trade contractors. A Prequalification Committee consisting of four representatives, one each from the Designer and the CM at Risk and two Massport staff. This Prequalification Committee will be conducting a qualifications-based evaluation of submittals received from interested trade contractors in order to identify prequalified trade contractors who will be invited to respond to a wdtten Invitation to Bidders. Qualification Statements shall be evaluated in accordance with the following criteria; (1) Management Experience; (2) Project References including a Public Project Record and (3) Capacity to Complete including a demonstration that the contractor has the financial stability and long-term viability to successfully implement the Project. Please contact Susan Brace at or 617.568.5961 to obtain copies of the submittal forms. Seven (7) copies of a bound document each limited to 20 sheets (40 pages), exclusive of covers and dividers and resumes, which shall be limited to one page, shall be pdnted on both sides of the sheet (8 1/2" x 11") and shall be addressed to Mr. Houssam H. Sleiman, P.E., CCM, Director of Capital Programs and Environmental Affairs, and received no later than 12 Noon, Thursday, July 12, 2012, at the Massachusetts Port Authority, Logan Office Center, One Harborside Drive, Suite 209S, Logan International Airport, East Boston, MA 02128-2909. Any submittal that exceeds the page limit set here or that is not received in the Capital Programs Department by the above deadline shall be rejected as non-responsive. Questions regarding this RFQ shall be directed to Ms. Katie Choe, Assistant Director, Capital Programs, Project Controls, at 617-568-5961 or via email at kchoe@ MASSACHUSEI"rS PORT AUTHORITY DAVID S. MACKEY INTERIM CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER and EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR Run date: 06/22/12