Newspaper Archive of
Post-Gazette
Boston, Massachusetts
Lyft
July 6, 2012     Post-Gazette
PAGE 1     (1 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 1     (1 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 6, 2012
 

Newspaper Archive of Post-Gazette produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2017. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




T THE ITALIAN-AMEI LA (Formerly LA GAZZETTA del MASSACHUSETTS) VOL. 116 - NO. 27 BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS, JULY 6, 2012 $.30 A COPY 4 th of July Family Fun Day 002elebration at Christopher Columbus Park by Matt Conti Friends of Christopher Columbus Park Kick Off the 4 th of July with the U.S. Coast Guard, NEMPAC and local families. (Continued on Page8) . by Sal Giarratani North End Wins First International Little League Game Against Verona, Italy by Matt Conti "The Nation" After Failed Recall I just read my latest copy of "The Nation" and while they do acknowledge that public schools in Philadelphia are in big doo-doo, they are more concerned with unfair classroom tests that lead to teachers getting axed. They also don't like charter schools -- boy, is that a shocker. The state now has a plan liberals call "radical," which would close 64 public schools, maybe privatizing the rest and weaken public unions. The proposal developed by the Boston Consulting Group comes at a time when bailouts are no more. Gov. Tom Corbett and the GOP legislators have been cut- ting spending deeply. The school system is al- ready controlled by the state and is facing a $218 million deficit for the upcoming year and a five- year shortfall of a whopping $1.1 billion. Under the proposed plan, charter schools would teach 40 percent of all the city's public school pupils and by 2017 might control the other 60 percent. Of course all the usual suspects are against the plan, what else is new, huh? (Continued on Page 15) The international appeal of Little League Baseball brought together the North End Athletic Association and The Italian Dream Team from Verona, Italy in a first of its kind youth baseball game on the evening of Thursday, June 28, 2012. It was a close, but high scor- {Photo by Rosario Scabin, Ross Photography) ing, game with a final score of 13-12, as the North End Athletic Association came from behind with two runs in the 6 th inning to take the win in the friendly competi- tion. Organizers are already talking about a rematch in September! In addition to the well-at- tended little league game, the North End hosts gave the Italian team a tour of the neighborhood, including all the important sites like Mike's Pastry! The Italians were quite surprised (and proud) to see the Americans' (Continued on Page 14)